Start date: 09 November 2021
Duration: 3 days, 9-11 Nov, 9:30am to 5:30pm
Certificate: ISTQB Certificate exam (optional)
Cost: Members € 650; Non-members € 975
Course code: N/A
This comprehensive introduction to software testing provides you with the knowledge and expertise to prepare for the ISTQB Foundation level certificate examination. This course has been accredited by the UK and Irish Software Testing board (UKITB) and covers the syllabus for ISTQB Foundation in Software Testing.
The ISTQB Foundation certificate is awarded to all those who choose to do and successfully complete a one hour, multiple choice examination, externally set and invigilated by the UKITB.
Workshop approach: Our training approach is to minimise powerpoint slides in the training and use as much ‘learning by doing’ as possible. To this end we have
• 10+ team based exercises throughout the 3-day course
• 30+ individual short exercises on test design techniques and other key topics
• 7 sample exam questions at the end of each section to validate learning
• full sample exam paper with 40 questions plus references to additional papers
Participant materials also include
• a comprehensive study guide
• revision sheets
You will learn:
• The fundamental principles of Software Testing
• How testing fits into the development lifecycle
• The importance of test process, objectives, techniques and tools
• Essential functional and non-functional test methods
• Basic test design and measurement techniques
• Fundamental test management principles
• How to select and implement tools effectively
Who is the course for?
The intended audience includes quality analysts, testers, developers, systems analysts, project leaders, users and data administrators.
No specific prerequisites are assumed. Attendees are expected to be ‘software knowledgeable’ with at least minimal software testing experience.
Part One: Fundamentals of testing
• What is testing?
• Why is testing necessary?
• Seven testing principles
• Test process
• The psychology of testing
Part Two: Testing through the software development lifecycle
• Software development models
• Test levels
• Test types
• Maintenance testing
Part Three: Static Techniques
• Static testing basics
• Review process
Part Four: Test techniques
• Categories of test design techniques
• Black-box techniques
• White-box techniques
• Experience-based techniques
Part Five: Test Management
• Test Organisation
• Test planning and estimation
• Test monitoring and control
• Configuration Management
• Risk and Testing
• Defect Management
Part Six: Tool Support for Testing
• Test tool considerations
• Effective use of tools
Fran O’Hara has over 30 years’ experience in the software industry having worked as a researcher, developer, tester, project manager, software development manager, quality management consultant and agile coach. Fran specialises in pragmatic approaches to lean/agile, quality/test and associated practices. For the last 15 years, a key element of his work has been providing agile/lean coaching, training and advisory support to organisations transitioning to agile/Scrum.
Fran is recognised as a thought leader in Quality and Agile and consults with clients in these areas particularly around Scrum/Kanban. He is a regular speaker at agile, process improvement and quality/testing conferences. Fran is a Certified and Professional ScrumMaster and Professional Product Owner, an ISTQB testing tutor at advanced level, a fellow of the Irish Computer Society, a director of the TMMi Foundation, and co-founder of the Irish SIG in Software Testing – SoftTest. He co-organises the annual non-profit ‘Agile Tour’ Irish conference. His tutorial, ‘Metamorphosis – Moving to Agile and Staying Agile’, was voted best tutorial at EuroSTAR 2016 in Stockholm.